Sunday, March 9, 2014

Ever Boiled Diamond Chains in STP?

Another great friend, Paul Kosma, who is helping me with tons of tricks asked me the other day if I have ever heard of boiling my chains in STP? Of course, I had never heard of that. He told me it was an old trick the dragbike racers used, back in the older days. Paul said, racers could get about 2 passes on a drive chain before replacing them. When they boiled them, they could get 10 to 12 passes. Sounded good to me. You put all of your chains in a steel pan and pour STP over them and cook them. As I did this, I saw little air bubbles coming from all the chains as the fish cooker got the oil hot. After about 30 minutes, I cut the heat off and let the chains soak over night and cool down. The STP get thin and soaks inside the chains. After it cools, it returns to a thick, thick grease. I hung the chains up and pulled all the excess lube off of the chains and packaged them in plastic bags and labeled them each.






No comments:

Post a Comment